The Brown dog candy recipe is a traditional American recipe. The main ingredients for this recipe are sugar and molasses.
Brown dog candy is best consumed in the winter months and is delicious with cream or ice cream. Brown dog candy tastes like a cross between peanut brittle and toffee.
The brown color from the molasses can make this dish an attractive addition to many holiday tables as well.
Brown dog candy recipe
It is important to use very dark sugar as the main sugar in this recipe. If you use light brown sugar, your candy may not be brown enough.
The amount of molasses should be enough to give the candy a maple flavor but be sure not to overdo it.
Too much molasses will cause the candy to have too strong of a flavor and too much chocolate will make the brown dog candies melt in your mouth and coat your teeth like chocolate ice cream.
How can prepare a Brown dog candy recipe
About 15 servings
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 2 1/4 cups molasses (can substitute with 2 cups of pure maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsalted butter, melted
- Baking sheet
- 9″x13″ pan
- medium saucepan
- metal or wooden spoon
- tight-fitting lid
Step 1: Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Combine sugar, syrup, molasses, butter, and water in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Step 3: Stir until sugar has dissolved and reached a boil. Stir constantly to avoid scorching.
Step 4: Stir in vanilla extract.
Step 5: Heat mixture to 240 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 6: Pour mixture into a 9″x13″ pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
Step 7: Place on a baking sheet in the oven and bake at 180 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
Step 8: Remove brown dog candy from the oven. Using a metal or wooden spoon, stir the mixture occasionally until the candy is almost cool enough to handle.
Step 9: Drop melted butter all over the top of the candy, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
Step 10: Let the candy cool completely and place it in a covered container away from heat.
Step 11: The caramel will harden and the brown dog candy will be ready to enjoy.
Step 12: Before serving, cool completely and cut into squares.
Step 13: Serve brown dog candies with ice cream or as an after-dinner treat.
Nutrition value of Brown dog candy recipe
- Calorie: 65.2 per 1oz
- Total Carbohydrate: 11.1g
- Sugars: 10g
- Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 7.2mg
- Vitamin A: 18%
Benefits of eating Brown dog candy recipe
1. Brown dog candy recipe has low calorie and sugar content.
2. It can promote blood circulation, so it is very helpful for those who have poor blood circulation.
3. Brown dog candies are also believed to have anti-inflammatory properties and help with respiratory problems by clearing phlegm.
4. Brown dog candies can be used in dental medicine because of their antibacterial properties, so it is good for teeth after eating brown dog candy recipes.
5. It can promote bone health in elderly people.
6. Some researchers have found that this recipe can promote blood coagulation and blood formation and improve blood circulation. Eating brown dog candy can help with muscle cramps and chest pain. It is said to have the ability to regulate gastric secretion, which helps to maintain a healthy digestive system at all times
7. Brown dog candies are also excellent for those who need an appetite stimulant or appetite suppression.
8. It can also prevent people from getting a heart attack because its high content of potassium can promote healthy tissue development.
9. Because of its high iron content, the brown dog candy recipe is very good to help people with anemia.
10. It can also lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure so it is recommended for those who have high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
Disadvantages of eating Brown dog candy recipe
1. Brown dog candy recipe is not a good choice for those who have hypoglycemia.
2. Brown dog candy ingredients can react with some medication, so you should consult your doctor before eating this recipe.
3. It can cause diarrhea and nausea in some people if consumed in large amounts.
4. Brown dog candies are very sweet if consumed too much so it is best to eat them after a meal or on an empty stomach.
5. Brown dog candies are not recommended for children under 5 because they may not be mature enough to handle the ingredients.
6. Brown dog candies can bring about mental confusion and emotional instability in some people.
How Can Make More Delicious?
1. You can add more brown dog candies recipe ingredients to make it even more delicious. For example, you can add more cocoa powder, chocolate chips, or peanut butter to make brown dog candy recipe version 2.
2. You can also add some fresh pressed coconut and make delicious homemade coconut brown dog candies.
3. You can also try this recipe by replacing the light brown sugar with dark brown sugar and using only 1 cup of syrup instead of 2 cups because it will be a bit sweeter for us.
How can Store Brown dog candy
1. Brown dog candies must be kept in a covered jar because the molasses will react with light and will turn the brown dog candy into a dark brown color.
2. Brown dog candies are very sticky so you can cover them with plastic wrap before putting them in the jar. Make sure to cover the ends of each brown dog candy as well.
3. Cover the top of the jar with a lid.
4. Before eating brown dog candies, make sure that you take them out of the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to let them soften a bit.
The Brown dog candy recipe is very delicious and can be used as a wonderful kitchen project for kids to learn about how to make homemade treats.
It’s like making your sweet version of paint. It might not look that great, but it’s a lot of fun making it, and the result tastes better than you could imagine.
This recipe can be made in large batches if desired. Brown dog candy is a perfect treat for anyone who likes the taste of brown sugar candies.
Thank you for reading this Brown dog candy recipe article.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask us on our Facebook Fan Page or in the comments section.