Calming dog treats recipe is a recipe for homemade dog treats. Made with all-natural ingredients like honey, chicken broth, oats, and dried cranberries.
Suitable for dogs who might have anxiety or separation anxiety from their owner. You can make a bigger batch with this recipe and bake it in a bigger pan.
You can also adjust the amount of honey you use for your dog’s weight and health. The recipe is easy to follow and understand. I hope you will try Calming dog treats recipe. Your dog will enjoy every bite.
Calming dog treats recipe
It is best to use the chicken broth in a large batch and freeze it. I tinned mine but if you would like to make sure, you can always use the frozen.
I don’t use chicken skins for this recipe. I usually remove the skin from the chicken and when I am cooking it, I add the skinless chicken.
Also, you can use a cheaper version of beef broth instead of chicken broth if you wish. For this recipe, I don’t need to use any egg yolk or egg white because it is already in the chicken broth. You only need to make sure that there are no added preservatives.
How can prepare Calming dog treats recipe
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 pound of dog chicken broth or beef
- 2 cup oatmeal (use whole oatmeal instead)
- 1 cup nonfat dried milk powder or you can use other milk powder that you can find in any grocery store.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries, or you can use your dog’s favorite fruit
- 1 egg ( I didn’t use it)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- a large mixing bowl
- baking sheet or cookie sheet (for baking)
- a small saucepan ( for cooking chicken)
- oven or microwave (for baking)
- 3-cup food scale (for weighing dog food)
- a knife or scaling knife
- a heavy wooden or plastic spoon or spatula (for stirring)
- a small bowl (for measuring the ingredients)
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare a well-greased cookie sheet.
Step 2: Mix the dry ingredients.
Step 3: Put the honey and melted fat into a small bowl and mix well.
Step 4: Add the honey-fat mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Step 5: Add the egg and egg yolk, and mix well.
Step 6: Add the water and mix until it is smooth.
Step 7: Put the dough into a large mixing bowl and knead it for about 15 minutes. (You can always use a stand mixer instead of a hand mixer.)
Step 8: Put flour in a small plastic bag or zip-top bag. Pour the dough into the small bag or zip-top bag then close tightly. Squeeze out all air from the bag for about 5 minutes.
Step 9: Roll the dough to the size of a pizza ( about double the thickness ).
Step 10: Apply the flour to the surface of the dough and roll it evenly.
Step 11: Cut into pieces of about 2 1/2 inches (6 cm) square.
Step 12: Put cookies on a well-greased cookie sheet or baking pan and flatten them with a knife (or you can use a rolling pin).
Step 13: Bake for about 20 minutes in the oven at 350°F until golden brown.
Step 14: Let cooled cookie sheets cool for at least two hours before storing them in an air-tight container.
Enjoy your Calming dog treats recipe. I hope your dog will enjoy them too.
Nutrition value of Calming dog treats recipe
- Calorie: 402 kcal
- Protein: 15 grams
- Carbohydrates: 68 grams
- Total fat: 11 grams
- Saturated fat: 1.5 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
- Sodium: 227 milligrams
- Fiber: 3.4 gm
Benefits of eating Calming dog treats recipe
1. Helps to reduce stress in canines.
2. Offer comfort and relaxation to the dog.
3. Can be used as a reward for obedience training.
4. Does not cause any health problems or allergic reactions on the dog’s skin or coat.
5. No artificial ingredients in this recipe and no preservatives are added during making this recipe
6. Can be used as a training tool for dogs who might suffer from separation anxiety.
7. The dog will enjoy this treat.
8. Can be used as a treatment for anxiety and depression in canines.
9. The dog’s behavior is observed by its owner and the owner can make sure that the dog is not suffering from any psychological issues.
10. Can be used as an alternative for dog toys when dogs are not available at home, thus giving comfort to the dogs at a time when they are alone or missing their families or friends at home.
Disadvantages of eating Calming dog treats recipe
1. Not suitable for small dogs as they would not be able to take big bites from these treats.
2. won’t give extra energy to the dog but will help them relieve their anxiety and stress.
3. Not suitable for dogs with dairy allergies as dried milk powder is used in this recipe.
4. Some people feel that it is too much work to make treats for their canines.
5. Not a treat that you can give to puppies as it will spoil their digestion and stomachs, thus making them vomit or have diarrhea.
6. Not a treat that you can give to the senior dog as it would affect the health of their kidneys, liver, and other organs due to high sugar content (honey).
How Can Make More Delicious?
1. If you are going to use dried cranberries or cherries, you can add them in small amounts and not too much at once.
2. You can also add a small number of unsalted peanuts or cooked chicken instead of dried fruit.
3. You can change the flour to your choice of flour. You can also use whole wheat flour or all-purpose whole wheat flour instead of white flour.
4. You can use a variety of milk powder that suits your dog and their health issues with regards to milk products.
5. You can also use other add-on ingredients like pumpkin seeds, dried milk powder, dried carrots, dried apples, etc.
How can Store Calming dog treats recipe
1. You can store these dog treats in an airtight container.
2. You can freeze it for later use. Just make sure to allow the treats to cool before freezing them.
3. You can refrigerate the treat after you made the recipe and store it instead of cooling and freezing it to prevent the smell from being damaged when you try to freeze this treat for later use.
4. You can make small batches at a time and store the unused portion in an airtight container at room temperature for later use.
Calming dog treats recipe is perfect for giving comfort and relaxation to the dogs. Its taste is also very nice and will be enjoyed by the dogs.
The dog will love these treats. You can use this treatment as a reward when the dog obeys your commands and they will be very happy when they see that you are using these treats as a reward from their owner.
These treats will not cause any health problems or allergic reaction on the dog’s skin or coat because it is made of natural ingredients like honey and dried fruit.
Thank you for reading Calming dog treats recipe. I hope you can enjoy this recipe with your canine friend.