Chicken wrapped sweet potato dog treats recipe. Simple to make, and great tasting. You can have these appetizers made for you in no time with your favorite store-bought baked sweet potato, chicken meat, and cheddar cheese already prepared.
Just wrap the meat mixture inside of the baked sweet potatoes, freeze these, and then you have a great treat for your pet or your children. This is also a great recipe to make if you want to make treats with both chicken and fish in them.
Chicken wrapped sweet potato dog treats recipe
It is important to understand that the chicken while being a protein element on its own, is an excellent source of varying nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and proteins, all of which benefit the health of our companion animals.
It even has Omega 3 fatty acids which can help reduce inflammation and fight off the effects of seasonal allergies in dogs.
When you buy ready-made baked sweet potato dog treats, the chicken meat is already cooked, so you don’t have to worry about that.
Just grab a handful of rice cakes or any other treat and coat it with the shredded chicken meat. Then wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze them. When they are set up, just stick them in freezers until you need them.
How can prepare Chicken wrapped sweet potato dog treats recipe
4 – 6
- 1.5 – 2 cups of cooked chicken meat
- 1 package of skinless boneless chicken meat
- A small handful (about 1/2 cup) of bacon pieces
- A small handful (about 1/2 cup) of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 – 3 baked sweet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice
- 1 cup of cooked white rice
- A dash of paprika powder and black pepper to taste
- A small handful (about 1/2 cup) of plain Greek yogurt
- A large size bowl
- A grater to grate the chicken and cheese
- A medium or small-sized pan
- A baking sheet with a parchment paper
- An oven or a broiler
- A knife to cut the baked sweet potato in half and a small spoon to scoop out the pulp
- A large kitchen force to mix all the ingredients
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 F. While it is heating up, line the baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Step2: Place the cut baked sweet potato on the baking sheet and place it in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until it becomes soft.
Step 3: Cut each half of the sweet potato in half lengthwise and scoop out all the pulp from it. Reserve.
Step 4: In a medium-sized bowl, mix the chicken meat, cheddar cheese, and bacon, until well combined. Set aside.
Step 5: Heat the cooked brown rice and cooked white rice in a large pan on moderate heat for about 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
Step 6: Transfer one or two pieces of sweet potato to the large bowl using the flat spoon. Have all sweet potato pieces of varying sizes in this bowl. If you have different size sweet potato pieces, you may have to cut them using a knife.
Step 7: Take a large tablespoon or two of chicken meat mixture, and add it on top of each piece of the baked sweet potato.
Step 8: Carefully fold in the chicken-wrapped sweet potato without breaking or tearing it apart. Try to fold all sides of the sweet potatoes without breaking or tearing them open.
Step 9: Place the mixture on the baking sheet, flatten it and place it in the oven until they become golden brown. This takes about 25 minutes.
Step 10: Remove the chicken-wrapped sweet potato from the oven and let them cool down slightly. While it is cooling down, mix Greek yogurt with a small dash of paprika and black pepper to taste in a small bowl.
Step 11: Use your hands to remove all parts of the sweet potato pulp from them. Place all the pulp into a small bowl.
Step 12: Take the chicken wrapped sweet potato out of the baking sheet and place it on a large cutting board.
Step 13: Use a small spoon to spread a small amount of yogurt on top of each chicken wrapped sweet potato.
Step 14: Sprinkle the yogurt with some more paprika and black pepper to taste. Then use your hands to dip them into the cooked sweet potato pulp.
Step 15: Place all the chicken wrapped sweet potatoes in serving dishes and sprinkle black pepper, paprika, and flaked sea salt to taste on top of them.
Step 16: Serve them and enjoy.
Nutrition value of Chicken wrapped sweet potato dog treats recipe
- Calories: 292 kcal
- Fat: 7.5g
- Protein: 24.5g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sodium: 128mg
- Cholesterol: 87mg (15%)
- Calcium: 20mg (2%)
- Iron: 0.7mg (3%)
- Potassium: 354mg (10%)
- Vitamin A: 1125 IU (6%)
- Vitamin C: 1.2mg (2%)
Benefits of eating Chicken wrapped sweet potato dog treats recipe
1. Chicken wrapped sweet potato dog treats recipe is a simple protein-rich recipe for your dog. Use it for the treats or make it into a meal by making them into real chicken chunks and serving these to your dog.
2. If you are making these treats for your dog, make sure to replace the chicken with non-nitrate-containing ingredients that are made from the chicken skin. This is a precautionary measure because nitrate levels in processed food items are harmful to pets and humans.
3. To make these treats healthy, you can make them yourself by choosing a whole piece of cooked chicken meat and shredding it.
4. Cooked brown rice is a good source of fiber and protein for your dog. It is also rich in several vitamins and minerals essential for your dog’s health.
5. Greek yogurt makes these treats healthy because it has a low-fat content which makes it easier on the stomach of your dog.
6. If the chicken wrapped sweet potatoes do not have any bacon or cheese in them, you can add them to boost their nutritional value of them.
7. If you want to make them into real chicken chunks, use the smaller sweet potatoes and cut them in half lengthwise. You will also have to cut the larger ones in half because they will be too big for your dog’s mouth otherwise.
8. These snacks are not just for dogs but portable treats for your dog as well. So take them with you when you are on the go for a walk or even for a stroll around the neighborhood.
9. You may have to freeze these treats to make them last longer before serving.
10. These treats help grow healthy teeth in your dog by providing constant ingestion of calcium, iron, and protein in limited amounts as well as vitamins, fiber, and energy sources.
Disadvantages of eating Chicken wrapped sweet potato dog treats recipe
1. If you are a dog owner, be sure to check the ingredients and find out if your dog can have this. You may want to consult with your veterinarian before serving them.
2. Because these dog treats have a high-fat content in them, make sure to keep them away from dogs with sensitive stomachs or those that are on special diets so they will not be able to digest the food easily.
3. The cooked sweet potato may contain a little amount of starch which would make it harder for your dog to digest.
4. These treats are not suitable for small dogs because they will have a hard time digesting the large pieces of sweet potato in them.
5. Sometimes, the bacon or cheese can be too salty and you may want to remove this from the recipe if it is too salty for your small dog.
How Can Make More Delicious?
1. You can add more meat to these treats if you want more variety on what type of protein your dog is getting in one snack.
2. You may want to adjust the amount of sugar you are going to incorporate into the recipe depending on how sweet your dog likes his treats. Some dogs like very sweet snacks while others don’t even notice a difference between healthy and unhealthy food items.
3. You can substitute the chocolate chips for raisins or you can even leave it out altogether if your dog does not like raisins.
How can Store Chicken wrapped sweet potato dog treats recipe
1. You can store this recipe in an airtight seal container that is made from a non-metallic material. Keep them away from direct sunlight and any exposure to high heat and humidity.
2. You may want to freeze these treats for a long time before serving them to your dog so you can use them for up to one month after storing them in the freezer.
3. To serve them, let them sit at room temperature for about ten minutes before giving them to your dog so that they can soften up a little bit.
Understanding the process of making chicken wrapped sweet potato dog treats recipe is important when making this treat for your dog.
This recipe can make your dog healthy by providing him with more beneficial proteins, iron and vitamins, and minerals.
You may also want to adjust the recipe to make it suitable for your particular dog’s taste. You may also want to make more of them if you want to share with others or if you are giving some as a gift.
Thank you for watching this recipe. Please comment below and leave your feedback on how you liked this recipe.