Dog gravy recipe is a sweet and sour condiment that is a yummy bite to accompany hot dogs. It has been a favorite in the Midwest for decades, but it’s gaining popularity in other areas of the country.
A great dog gravy recipe can be a tasty, inexpensive compliment to hot dogs and other foods. Once you’ve tasted old-fashioned Chicago-style hot dogs smothered in deep-dish pizza toppings, you’ll start making this easy dog gravy recipe.
Dog Gravy Recipe
It is a thick, sweet, and salty sauce to accompany your dog. This is one of the first recipes that my mother taught me how to make.
The Recipe is a delicious condiment made of various sauces, fruits and grape jelly, ketchup, and pickle juice. I’m sure you will love the unique combination of flavors.
A word of caution: Dog gravy is not for everyone. I know some folks who do not like this condiment. But if you’re a traditional Chicago-style hot dogs fan, you’ll love this Recipe.
How To Prepare Dog gravy recipe
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
The ingredients of the Dog gravy recipe
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Pickle juice
- Grape Jelly
- Flour (dry)
- Cooking oil
- Onion, etc.
- Frying pan
Step 1: Take a bowl and put in the butter. The butter should cover the bottom of the bowl.
Step 2: Put in the mustard and cream of mushroom soup. Stir it slowly until it is mixed evenly.
Step 3: Add ketchup, pickle juice, grape jelly, and onion. Please don’t add them all at once; add them gradually so that you can easily mix them until everything is combined evenly.
Step 4: Stir the ingredients until well-mixed.
Step 5: Heat the stove. Pour in oil into the bowl and heat it over medium-high heat.
Step 6: Pour in flour to cover the bottom of the bowl. Make a continuous circular motion with your hand to mix it evenly. The mixture will begin to thicken when heated up, but you want it still a little watery.
Step 7: Heat the stove again. When it’s medium heat, turn off the stove. Pour the dog gravy and stir it with a spoon until well-mixed evenly.
Step 8: Pour the dog gravy into a bowl and keep it in an airtight container.
Step 9: Serve with hot dogs.
Nutrition Facts Of Dog Gravy Recipe
- Calories: 106 kcal
- Total Fat: 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg
- Sodium: 461 mg
- Potassium: 194 mg
- Carbohydrates: 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.2 g
- Sugars: 6.5 g
- Protein: 3.5 g
- Vitamin A: 1.4%
- Vitamin C: 2.4%
- Calcium: 0.7%
- Iron: 8.6%
Note – The Recipe is prepared using unsalted butter and low-sodium mushroom soup.
8 Amazing Serving Ideas for dogs
1. Add a little bit of dog gravy when cooking the rice. The rice will be sweet and salty.
2. Take a hot dog bun, spread with butter, and dip into the hot dog gravy until it’s soft. Heat up on a pan or microwave for 1-2 minutes before serving.
3. Add a bit of ketchup to the beef stock (broth) to improve its flavor. Add seasoning and eat with hot dogs as your choice of food.
4. Add a little bit of dog gravy to the pancake mix and make some pancakes. The pancakes will be sweet, salty, and sour.
5. Add a little bit of dog gravy into the canned soup that is already prepared to improve its flavor and make it tastier. Cook for about 15 minutes and serve with hot dogs as your favorite food.
6. Use dog gravy to flavor fried rice or spaghetti sauce. Cook for about 15 minutes and serve with hot dogs.
7. Add dog gravy to milkshakes, ice cream, or coffee to improve their flavor and make it more delicious.
8. Use dog gravy in place of Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce to flavor chicken, beef, or pork.
Benefits of eating Dog Gravy Recipe
The benefits of eating this Recipe are given below:
1. It’s healthy and best to eat in the winter season.
2. Easy to make and can be prepared quickly.
3. It is fried in butter, so it is light in your pocket.
4. You can serve this Recipe with various dishes, including grilled foods, sandwiches, burgers, and many more.
5. Dog gravy is a sauce with a spicy yet sweet flavor that complements any hot dog or sandwich nicely.
6. It is very easy to make as you can prepare it in a jiffy. It is also great for parties and family gatherings.
7. This Recipe goes well with all types of hot dogs, including beef, chicken, and pork.
8. This Recipe would be the yummiest dish to serve with your hot dogs.
9. This is a very cheap recipe as you will have to prepare only a few ingredients; it just requires 10 minutes.
10. It is also very good for people with diabetes as it does not contain high calories, fat, and cholesterol.
How To Make More Delicious?
You can make it more delicious by adding onion and garlic. You can also add bacon to make it more delicious.
You can also use cream cheese and mix this Recipe with cream cheese to make a delicious dip for pretzels, fries, and chicken nuggets.
How To Store Dog Gravy Recipe?
You can store this Recipe in a glass container in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days. You can freeze it for about 2 to 3 months. After that, you can warm it up in the microwave or stovetop.
I hope you like this Recipe and enjoy the benefits of eating this Recipe with your furry friends. This easy dog gravy recipe tastes great with grilled hot dogs, hamburgers, and sandwiches.
It is much more delicious to eat with hot dogs, which you can make even at home. I think your dog will love to have this Recipe with you on your picnic or camping trip.
I hope you enjoy the Recipe. Please drop a comment if any queries.
Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to read this post. I hope you will share it with your friends, family, and others.