Filipino dog recipe is a fried pork dish that is very popular in the Philippines. It is typically made with Lechon (roast suckling pig).
It is typically served with rice and other Filipino dishes. The dish has been called “Manila’s favorite breakfast and comfort food” because of its convenient store-bought ingredients and its ease of preparation.
Manila’s favorite breakfast and comfort food is a very greasy and fatty dish that oozes with oil when it is fried.
It is often compared to the iconic Filipino adobo because of the similar taste, texture, and ingredients used in making it.
Filipino dog recipe
The word “Filipino dog” (Filipino: “Lechon Manok”) refers to a fried baby piglet that is cooked whole. It is a well-loved Filipino snack that is usually made of pork and liver.
But it can also be made of chicken. If the dish is made of pork, then the meat will be sliced and marinated in soy sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper and cooked in a bag pan called a “latik”.
The dish is usually prepared by frying the pork in oil until turns golden brown. It is usually served either straight from the pan or with rice.
How can prepare a Filipino dog recipe
- 500 grams baby pig (lechon manok)
- ½ kilogram ground pork (lechon baboy)
- 1-liter cooking oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup lard
- A large pot
- A flat-bottom pan
- A plastic bag
- Slotted spoon
- Butcher’s knife
- Cutting board
- A knife to slit the pig’s belly
Step 1: Marinate the pig with soy sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper. Let it marinate for three hours.
Step 2: Slit the pig’s belly using a sharp knife. Remove the intestines inside the belly.
Step 3: Heat some lard in a flat-bottomed pan and fry the pig until it turns golden brown on all sides.
Step 4: Cook the ground pork until it turns brownish-orange in color.
Step 5: Add the fried pig to the ground pork and mix it well.
Step 6: Add soy sauce, vinegar, and water to the meat and mix it well.
Step 7: Cook for about 20 minutes on low heat. When the liquid gets reduced (oil separates from meat) put on a pot lid and turn off the stove. Let it cool down for 5 minutes before taking it into a serving plate.
Variation: You can add chili powder or red pepper flakes when marinating for better flavor.
Nutrition value of Filipino dog recipe
- Calories: 670 kcal
- Protein: 44.8
- Fat: 46.4
- Saturated fat: 14.5
- Carbohydrates: 0.4
- Cholesterol: 159
- Sodium: 899 mg
- Sugar: 1.6 g
- Vitamin A: 479 IU
- Vitamin C: 21 mg
- Iron: 18 mg
- Calcium: 68 mg
- Potassium: 685 mg
- Phosphorus: 559 mg
Benefits of eating Filipino dog recipe
1. It is a healthy dish because of the use of pork and pork liver (which is a good source of vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin E, and omega-3).
2. It improves immunity because pork has zinc which helps in protein production and reproduction.
3. The dish is rich in calcium and iron which help to keep the body healthy and fit.
4. It is a low-fat, low-cholesterol junk food because of the use of pork and pork liver.
5. It also helps to lower cholesterol in the body.
6. It is a healthy dish because it has a good source of protein which makes us feel full and satisfied longer, thus making us eat less at one meal or snack.
7. It is a good post-workout and pre-workout meal because of its high protein content.
Side effects of eating Filipino dog recipe
1. If you consume too much of this dish, you might get fat. Also, you might experience flatulence (gas).
2. If you do not cook the pig first and then add it to the ground pork, then there might be raw pork in your dish which can make your stomach feel sick (food poisoning).
3. If you add too much chili or red pepper flakes when marinating, then you might get heartburn.
4. If you consume too much of this dish, you might get constipated because of the meat content.
How Can Make More Delicious?
1. Use more pork liver (since it has more vitamin A and B vitamins than the meat)
2. Use less soy sauce since it is salty
3. Add more water and then cook until the oil separates from the meat
4. Cook the ground pork until it turns brownish-orange in color to maximize its flavor
5. Use fresh ground pepper (not powdered pepper) to enhance the flavor
How can Store Filipino dog recipe
1. You can store pork and pork liver separately in the freezer for later use.
2. You can also store cooked Filipino dogs in the refrigerator but make sure that you use a container that is airtight to avoid its odor from reaching other food.
3. You can you plastic bag to store it but make sure that you bring the meat to room temperature before cooking so that it will cook faster and evenly (do not refreeze).
4. You can store it in the freezer (cook first before freezing) for up to three months.
5. You can cut it into small pieces and store it in small containers (like ice cube trays) so that you can add only the amount that you need when cooking for your family and friends.
It is a healthy dish for the whole family because it is a good source of protein. It does not contain too much oil, saturated fat, or cholesterol.
Eating this dish is also recommended if you want to lose weight because of its low-fat content. Filipinos usually eat dogs with vinegar, but they can also be eaten with lemon or tomato sauce instead of vinegar.
Thank you for reading our Filipino dog recipe, please leave comments below and if you liked this idea, please share it with your friends and family.