Homemade healthy dog food recipes can be a little daunting at first, but you’ll quickly find that it’s not that difficult and can save you money.
If your dog suffers from food allergies or sensitivities, this is the way to go. You’ll also have control over what goes into your dog’s food with homemade recipes.
Dogs are naturally inclined to like new foods, so if you make your dog’s food from scratch, he’ll enjoy sampling and exploring different flavors.
Homemade healthy dog food recipes
Over the years, I have tried hundreds of recipes for homemade dog food and have ended up with a nice collection of recipes that my dogs seem to enjoy.
I love to experiment with ingredients and new recipes often seem to come from those experiments. It has been very exciting to discover new nutritious ingredients like turkey necks and lamb quarters, as well as ways that I can make better use of my garden’s vegetables.
How can prepare Homemade healthy dog food recipes
- Eggs: 1 Cup, hard-boiled and cut into quarters
- Ground Beef or Turkey: 2 Cups, cooked and ground
- Raw Carrots and Celery (chopped): 1/2 Cup each
- Carrot Juice: 1/2 Cup
- Chicken Broth (or Vegetable Broth): 5 Cups
- Pumpkin Seed Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Flax Seed Oil: 3/4 teaspoon
- Kale (chopped): 1 Cup
- Dried Parsley: 1/4 cup
- Chicken Liver (chopped): 1 oz ground chicken liver
- Fresh Parsley (chopped): 2 tablespoons
- Apple Cider Vinegar (or lemon juice): 1/2 teaspoon
- Large pot
- Food processor or blender
- Pouring spout
- Small bowl
- 1 cup measuring cup (for carrots)
- Measuring cup with 1/4 teaspoon scale, for dry ingredients (flour, sugar, etc.
- Mixer (not needed if using a food processor or blender)
Step 1: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet with non-stick spray or oil.
Step 2: Cut eggs in quarters and place them in a small bowl. Place in oven until eggs are hard-boiled.
Step 3: Cook ground meat until browned and crumbled. Drain off fat if desired. Add to a small bowl with eggs.
Step 4: Chop or shred carrots and celery. Mix into meat and eggs.
Step 5: Place carrots, celery, chicken broth, pumpkin seed oil, flax seed oil, kale (chopped), parsley, and chicken liver in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
Step 6: Measure out 1/2 cup of carrot juice (use apple juice if you don’t have carrot juice). Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth to the carrots in a blender.
Step 7: Blend the mixture again, just until the sauce is mixed. The sauce should be smooth. Add 1 teaspoon of each oil and blend again. Pour into pot, and heat on low.
Step 8: Scramble eggs in a bowl. Serve with homemade dog food. Serve 1/3 cup per serving.
Nutrition value of Homemade healthy dog food recipes
- Carbohydrates: 44.09%
- Fiber: 37.72%
- Lipids: 14.09%
- Protein: 10.29%
- Total Calories: 2083 Kcal/Kg
- Calories from Lipids: 1188 Kcal/kg (55%)
- Calories from Protein: 1028 Kcal/kg (45%)
- Calories from Carbohydrates: 502 Kcal/kg (25%)
- Saturated Fat: 0.6 gm/kg
- Trans Fat: 0.4 gm/kg
- Cholesterol: 192 mg/Kg
- Sodium: 873 mg/Kg
- Potassium: 2825 mg/Kg
Benefits of eating Homemade healthy dog food recipes
1. Eggs are high in protein and a great source of iron, so they are an excellent choice for homemade dog food. Homemade dog food containing eggs will provide your dog with a lot of energy.
2. Beef is a great source of proteins, iron, and B vitamins. It is also rich in zinc, which helps build strong bones and teeth.
3. Carrots help to cleanse the skin and improve your dog’s eyesight as well as maintain healthy blood vessels and teeth.
4. Celery not only helps keep your dog’s digestive system running smoothly, but it also provides antioxidants for healthy skin.
5. Pumpkin Seed Oil is a rich source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, which help to strengthen the skin and coat. It also contains Vitamin E, which helps maintain a healthy immune system.
6. Flax seed oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and fiber, both of which are essential for healthy skin and coat and strong cardiovascular health.
7. Kale is an excellent source of calcium, iron, and folate which helps to keep the thyroid functioning properly and prevents anemia. It also contains lutein, which is good for your dog’s eyesight, and beta-carotene, which provides antioxidants that help to fight cancer.
8. Parsley helps eliminate toxins from your dog’s body and protects his kidneys from damage due to infection or disease.
9. Liver is rich in vitamin B12, which helps give your dog energy. It also helps the skin and coat look healthy and strong.
10. Parsley is an excellent source of beta-carotene, which provides antioxidants that help to fight cancer. It also acts as a good source of Vitamin C, which maintains a healthy immune system and builds strong bones and teeth.
11. Fresh parsley is an excellent source of iron, potassium, and vitamins A and C.
12. Apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) helps to balance the pH in your dog’s stomach and helps to treat infections, skin irritations, and allergies. It also helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
Disadvantages of eating Homemade healthy dog food recipes
1. If you do not have a food processor or blender, you will need to chop the ingredients into very small pieces. This may take some time and could be difficult for people with arthritis or hand pain.
2. These recipes can be time-consuming, especially if you are using hard-boiled eggs that need to be peeled.
3. Carrot Juice is expensive and difficult to find in large quantities, so this recipe may not cost as much as some other homemade dog food recipes.
4. Egg yolk and liver contain a lot of cholesterol, which is a common source of heart disease.
5. Pumpkin seed oil may cause digestive upset in some dogs. If you are concerned, try making your pumpkin seed oil at home instead.
6. Pumpkin seed oil is easy to overuse and can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and an upset stomach.
How Can Make More Delicious?
1. Add some red pepper strips to the carrot sauce for a little more zest.
2. Add a small amount of cooked rice to the meat mixture.
3. More green vegetables, like peas or kale, can be added to the meat-and-egg recipe.
4. Cooked brown rice can be added to all three recipes for extra nutrition and carbohydrates.
How can Store Homemade healthy dog food recipes
1. Store the carrot sauce in the refrigerator for about a week.
2. The carrot-meat-egg mixture tastes best when reheated, so add it to the sauce after cooking and store it in the refrigerator until you need to reheat it again.
3. The meat and egg mixture can be kept in the refrigerator for a week or so.
4. The carrot sauce and meat-egg mixture should stay fresh if they are stored in sealed containers in the refrigerator. It is important to use only fresh ingredients because the homemade dog food recipe will not taste as good if you use expired or spoiled ingredients.
Homemade healthy dog food recipes are a great way to provide your dog with a healthy snack. They are also cost-effective and easy to make, making them great options for both busy owners and people with little time to shop.
If your dog is unwell, or the weather is cold, you may want to add some of these to your healthy homemade dog food recipe collection.
However, each recipe has its unique version of the main ingredients that make it unique from the others.
Thank you very much for reading my article about Homemade healthy dog food recipes.
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave your comment below.
I hope you have a nice day!