Merrick classic small breed recipe dry dog food is specifically designed for small breed dogs. This is the best food to give if you have a small dog, and even better, they have flavors that your pup is sure to love.
They are available in chicken and sweet potato recipes, lamb and brown rice recipes, duck and oatmeal recipes, or turkey and oat recipes.
This food is perfect for all these different tastes because it gives your pup a well-balanced diet while keeping them healthy.
Merrick classic small breed recipe dry dog food
It has the perfect ratio of protein and fat because it will provide all the nutrition needed to keep your pup healthy. They have added essential nutrients that are important for a small dog to have.
It will also help maintain their muscle mass and give them a shiny coat. This food is also made without grains, making it perfect for dogs with allergies or sensitivities to grains.
How to prepare Merrick’s classic small breed recipe dry dog food
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
The ingredients of the Merrick classic small breed recipe dry dog food
- Chicken, lamb, or duck – 3 cups
- Brown rice, lamb, or oatmeal – 2 cups
- Sweet potato or squash – 1 cup
- Carrots and apples – 1 cup each
- Liver, beef, or turkey – 1 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Grapes or blueberries – 1 cup
- Olives – 3 tbsp (optional)
- Sunflower oil, coconut oil, or vegetable oil – 3 tbsp (optional)
- Water – 1 cup
- Mixer or blender
- Deep dish
- Grater or food processor
- Baking pan lined with parchment paper
- Parchment paper for freshness (optional)
- Freezer bags for storage (optional)
- Daily and regular stainless steel bowls
Step 1: Place eggs in a bowl and break them up with a fork or whisk. Add egg to the food processor. Blend until well blended.
Step 2: Add oatmeal to the food processor. If not using oatmeal, use the grater to grate oatmeal into the food processor. Blend it until well blended.
Step 3: Wash and slice the fruit (apples and carrots). Meanwhile, slice the chicken/lamb/duck into cubes or small pieces. Put them in a blender or food processor with salt and pepper (if desired). Blend until fine pieces are formed. Add to the oatmeal.
Step 4: Add the blended ingredients (egg/oatmeal/egg) and the diced fruit (apples and carrots) into a large bowl. If grapes are not used, add them at this time. Add oil if using it. Add water and stir until well combined.
Step 5: Place mixture in a lined baking pan or dish covered with parchment paper (optional). Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until dry.
Step 6: When finished baking, let cool. Place in a storage container. Store in the freezer until needed.
Step 7: When preparing food, thaw and then cook as usual. Feed twice daily (morning and evening) or thrice daily (morning, afternoon, and evening). Suppose storing in the freezer, feed, and store according to directions on the container/package/bag. Feed less if cooking fresh.
Nutrition Facts of Merrick classic small breed recipe dry dog food
- Crude Protein(min.) 23.0%
- Crude Fat(min.) 10.0%
- Calcium(min.) 0.8%
- Phosphorus(min.) 0.6%
- Vitamin E(min.) 100 IU/kg
- Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min.) 2.5%
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids*(min.) 0.3%
- Linoleic Acid* (min.) 1.5%
- L-Carnitine* (min.) 150 mg/kg
- Ascorbic Acid(Vit C)*(min.) 50 mg/kg
- Taurine* (min. ) 0.5%
- DHA (min.) 0.07%
- EPA(min.) 0.36%
- Arachidonic Acid* (min.) 22.2%
- Choline(min.) 200 mg/kg
- Inositol* (min.) 220 mg/kg
- Carbohydrates(min. ) 9.0%
- Probiotics*(min.) 7.0 g/kg
- Total Fiber*(min.) 3.0%
- Zinc (min.) 11 mg/kg
- Iron (min.) 5 mg/kg
- Moisture(max.) 10%
Benefits of eating Merrick’s classic small breed recipe dry dog food
1. Helps maintain and boost immunity by adding natural antioxidants.
2. Helps prevent potential gastrointestinal issues by adding probiotics. This will help keep your dog’s gut healthy and working properly.
3. Helps improve skin and coat health by adding omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and Vitamin E. This will make their fur shiny, smooth, soft, and healthy.
4. Helps promote better digestion by adding prebiotics such as oatmeal.
5. Helps keep bones healthy and strong by adding Vitamin C, Iron, and Calcium.
6. Helps improve cognitive function by adding DHA, Iron, and Taurine. This will help improve your dog’s memory as they age.
7. Helps keep teeth healthy by adding calcium and Omega-3 Fatty acids. This will help keep your dog’s teeth from getting tartar and plaque build-up on them, so their breath smells nice too! It also helps to prevent bad breath!
8. Helps improve muscle health and tone by adding Vitamin E, Iron, and Omega-6 Fatty Acids. This will help if your dog has difficulty maintaining muscle mass as they age or gain weight.
9. Helps boost energy by adding taurine, giving them the energy they need to run around, play fetch, or be active dogs!
10. Helps prevent overweight issues by adding the essential nutrients your dog needs to maintain a healthy weight.
11. Supports a shiny, healthy coat because it contains omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids, which will help keep their coats shiny and soft. It also contains antioxidants which help strengthen your dog’s immune system so they can keep their fur healthy!
12. Helps improve joint health by adding Glycocarn. It also helps with bone strength and density because it has DHA and Vitamin C added to it!
How To Make More Delicious?
1. Add fresh fruit and vegetables to the recipe.
2. Add broth or water to the food if a thicker consistency is desired. Be sure to add more water than broth. Otherwise, your dog might choke on it.
3. Add olive or coconut oil for a unique flavor your dog will love!
4. Replace the lamb with chicken instead. It is quite cheaper than lamb, adding more flavor to the food. If you do it this way, add some chicken fat to ensure your dog gets enough fat in their diet.
5. Add eggs, cooked carrots, and apples for a richer taste and color to their food.
6. If you want smaller pieces, use a food processor or grater to grate them into small pieces before adding them to the dry food recipe.
We could have made this even better with some fresh fruit and a little olive oil, but at least we have a tasty, healthy recipe we can use for our dog now.
How To Store Merrick classic small breed recipe dry dog food
1. Store in a dry area at room temperature.
2. If storing for more than two days, store in a refrigerator to avoid heat spoilage.
3. Freeze food for up to 6 months if desired. This will ensure it stays fresh! Make sure to use proper freezer storage containers when freezing food, and label the date you froze it and the date you should thaw it!
4. Keep out of the reach of children and pets to avoid accidental ingestion!
5. Check the expiration date on the package when you buy it to ensure quality and freshness!
Where Can You Buy Merrick’s classic small breed recipe dry dog food?
Unless you make your own as we did, you can buy it at your local pet store. If you cannot find some immediately, try looking online or calling around first. I always check my local pet stores before going online or calling.
Keeping our dogs healthy is one of the most important things we can do for them. We always want to give them the best, so we were devastated when we found out our dog was on a diet.
We could not believe that his high-calorie food was why he was overweight. We had no idea there were many chemicals, fillers, and other things in dog food and pet treats!
Now that we are educated about it, I am sure you will be too. If you can find a healthy chicken recipe to give your dog, try this one! It is quite easy and makes an excellent change for your dog.
Thank you for reading our article, and I hope you learned a lot from it! If you did, please give us a click on our advertisement in the top right corner of this article.