Merrick grain-free chicken + sweet potato recipe dry dog food is the best dog food for your pup. It’s hypoallergenic and contains no chicken, wheat, corn, or soy.
Ingredients include ground chicken, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, dried blueberries, and cranberries. Moreover, this food is low in protein, making it a good fit for dogs with weight issues or who may have an allergy to meat.
Merrick grain-free chicken + sweet potato recipe dry dog food
This food has high fiber content, and the calories are very low at only 36 per cup. The protein comes from a combination of chicken and turkey.
The carbohydrates are sweet potatoes, chickpeas, peas, pea flour, and tapioca starch. It also contains added vitamins and minerals as well as chelated minerals.
The kibble is brown and pea-sized. This is recommended for medium to large dogs. It is rich in protein and low in fat, with moderate moisture to keep your dog’s coat healthy.
How to prepare Merrick grain-free chicken + sweet potato recipe dry dog food
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Microwave Time: 5 minutes
Total Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- ¼ cup chicken, ground
- ¼ cup sweet potato, pureed
- ½ cup peas, frozen
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- ¾ cup pea flour
- ¾ cups chicken broth or water (add a pinch of salt)
- 1/8 t. dried blueberries
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ t. poultry seasoning
- 2 t. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder or granules
- 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- Medium saucepan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Microwave-safe bowl with lid
- Lid for saucepan
- Spoon for stirring
- Mixing bowl to measure ingredients (optional)
- Large bowl or dish for wet food
- Thermometer (optional)
Step 1: Place a small amount of the dry ingredients (poultry seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder or granules, and ginger) in the saucepan.
Step 2: Add chicken broth or water, sweet potato puree, and peas to the saucepan and stir with a spoon.
Step 3: Cover the mixture with a lid. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
Step 4: Remove from the microwave and stir well with a spoon. Repeat this step until all of the ingredients are mixed well together. The mixture should have the consistency of canned dog food or baby food.
Step 5: If needed, continue heating in the microwave for 1 minute at a time until ingredients are thoroughly mixed and smooth.
Step 6: Add chicken pieces and stir well to mix.
Step 7: Place in bowl or dish for serving. You can also place this mixture in a freezer bag and freeze it for later use.
Step 8: Serve immediately or store leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-5 days and microwave as needed using the above directions.
Nutrition Facts of Merrick grain-free chicken + sweet potato recipe dry dog food
Per cup of dog food:
- Calories: 36 calories
- Fat: 0g
- Sodium: 90mg
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrates: 5.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.7g
- Calcium: 1%
- Phosphorus: 1%
- Potassium: 1%
- Magnesium: 0.7%
- Sugars: 3.3g
8 Amazing Serving Ideas Merrick grain-free chicken + sweet potato recipe dry dog food
1. Add a teaspoon of smooth peanut butter to your dog’s portion.
2. Add a few drops of honey to your dog’s portion as a special treat.
3. Add 1 cup of canned pumpkin to your dog’s portion. Add it after the mixture has been heated.
4. Add a small amount of cooked rice, couscous, or quinoa for extra fiber. Add it after the mixture has been heated.
5. Mash up the meat with a fork before serving for easier digestion and less chewing for senior dogs or puppies just starting with solid food.
6. Add a small number of raw cheese cubes or small pieces of cheese (1-2) to your dog’s portion. Cheese is good for dogs’ teeth and stomachs.
7. Add a few green peas or sweet potato chunks to your dog’s portion.
8. Add a bit of fresh, chopped parsley or cilantro to your dog’s portion. It’s a healthy alternative for parsley and cilantro lovers.
How To Make More Delicious?
You can add a few ingredients to this dog food to make it more delicious for your dog.
1. Try adding a tablespoon of olive oil, a teaspoon of tomato sauce, or a small amount of vegetable broth until you find the right “recipe” for your dog.
2. The dog food may be too dry for your dog. Try adding a bit more chicken or water in the microwave.
3. Add a small amount of canned pumpkin to your dog’s portion if you want to make it tastier.
4. You can add some leftover cooked fish, chicken, turkey, or even beef chunks to your dog’s portion if you want your pup to eat something meaty.
5. Add a bit of cooked oatmeal or brown rice to your dog’s portion for more carbs.
How To Store Merrick grain-free chicken + sweet potato recipe dry dog food
This dog food can be stored in the fridge for 3-5 days. You can also store it in the pantry or freezer, but it will not keep long. It is recommended to refrigerate your dog’s commercial dog food if your dog doesn’t finish it within 2-3 days or longer.
To store in the freezer:
1. Thaw dog food in the fridge overnight.
2. Place half of the dog’s food into a large freezer bag with a lid and freeze it for up to 6 months.
3. Place the rest of the food into smaller bags with lids and freeze it for up to 12 months.
To store in the pantry:
1. Thaw dog food in the fridge overnight.
2. Place half of the dog food into a large dish or bowl for serving and keep it in the pantry for up to 6 months.
3. Place the rest of the food into smaller bowls or dishes with lids and keep it in the pantry for up to 12 months.
It is recommended to store your dog’s dry food somewhere out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources like radiators, fireplaces, and stoves where insects or animals can destroy it.
Merrick grain-free chicken + sweet potato recipe is balanced dry dog food with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. It’s made with healthy ingredients like chicken and sweet potato for added nutrition.
You can include this dry dog food in your dog’s meal plan if you feel it is a good choice for your pup to eat. You can vary the ingredients in this dry dog food according to your pet’s needs.
Thank you for reading my review on Merrick grain-free chicken + sweet potato recipe dry dog food.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below. And if you like this article, please share this article on social media.