Sam’s hot dog chili recipe should be the ultimate hot dog chili recipe in everyone’s book. It involves a classic sweet and smoky hot dog, a rich, thick Mexican-style chili loaded with all your favorite ingredients, and plenty of corn chips to satisfy that crunchy craving.
Sam’s chili recipe is a regular at our house, and I usually cook up a huge batch so we can enjoy the leftovers for a few days.
Sam’s hot dog chili recipe
I love how corn chips are so satisfying and work great with hamburgers. It’s one of my favorite foods. This recipe makes a lot of chilies, but I don’t care because [everyone] will be eating the leftovers all week!
This recipe yields approximately 13-15 cups of chili. You can freeze whatever amount you don’t serve with this recipe, which will last around 6-7 months.
How to prepare Sam’s hot dog chili recipe
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 2-4 hours
The ingredients of Sam’s hot dog chili recipe
- 1.5 lbs. of hot dogs
- 2 lbs. of ground beef
- 1 (28 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 (15 oz.) can of tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup [or more] chili powder*
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- Salt to taste
- 1 (16 oz.) can of pinto beans
- 1/2 [or more] cup water
*Chili powder is a must for this recipe, in my opinion. It will give your chili that rich chili flavor.
- Large dutch oven
- Large mixing bowl
- Large spoon
- 1.5 tablespoons of chili powder
- 5-7 dried chipotle peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup [or more] of oil
- 10 corn chips for garnish
Step 1: Preheat your dutch oven on medium-high heat.
Step 2: Place your hot dogs in the dutch oven and coat them with oil (or cooking spray). Cook for about 10 minutes or until hot, flipping once halfway through.
Step 3: While the hot dogs are cooking, using a large bowl, add all of your ground beef along with chili powder, cumin, and salt. Add water to it if you want a thinner chili consistency/consistency is up to you. After a few minutes, once you get the mixture close to being the consistency you desire, place it into a large dutch oven and coat it with oil or cooking spray. Cook for about 30-45 minutes on medium-low or until beef is cooked.
Step 4: Once it is cooked, add drained pinto beans to the beef mixture (along with any juice in there). Add all the crushed tomatoes, chili powder, and cumin (and salt if needed). Stir it up, then add chopped chipotle pepper. Mix it up and let it cook for another hour until firm.
Step 5: Once it’s firm, add water to the mixture if needed, stir, and from there, you can serve! I like to top mine with a dollop of sour cream and fresh diced tomatoes for some color.
Sam’s hot dog chili recipe Variations
You can add as much/or as little of each ingredient to suit your taste. Experiment with this recipe and come up with new variations!
According to Sam, this is not the best hot dog chili he has ever made, but it is darn good, and he’s sticking to it anyway!
*Note: This recipe requires cooking the beef for at least 2-3 hours or longer.
Nutrition facts of Sam’s hot dog chili recipe
Serving Size: 1 cup chili
- Calories: 150 kcal
- Fat: 6g
- Carbs: 17g
- Protein: 18g
- Sodium: 600mg
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 280mg
- Fiber: 5g
- Vitamin C: 27%
- Calcium: 7%
- Sugars: 4g
Benefits of eating Sam’s hot dog chili recipe
1. The chili is a healthy, low fat and low-calorie recipe.
2. Chili is a great side dish or meal to serve with (or in) your favorite hamburger.
3. Chili has good Vitamin C and other essential nutrients.
4. Chili is a good source of fiber which helps to keep you fuller longer.
5. Chili is an excellent plant-based protein, iron, and magnesium source.
6. Chili is low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol (all-around healthy food).
7. Eating chili may help lower your risk for colorectal cancer.
8. Chili helps to maintain normal blood cholesterol levels.
9. Chili is a great plant-based protein, iron, and magnesium source.
Disadvantages of eating Sam’s hot dog chili recipe
1. Chili is not very pretty to look at, but that doesn’t mean it’s not good. I don’t think anyone will complain if you serve this over rice or as a side dish (or in) with your favorite hamburger.
2. This recipe requires you to cook ground beef/hot dogs for 2-3 hours or longer.
3. If chili is served without potato chips, it will be too sweet for some people’s taste buds.
4. If you want to make your chili spicier, the recipe does not provide ingredient quantities for added spicy ingredients.
5. Eating too much chili is not healthy or good for your digestive system. (This is why this recipe yields 13-15 cups of chili).
6. Many people say eating chili can cause heartburn or indigestion problems.
How To Make More Delicious?
1. Add one tablespoon of Tapatio hot sauce or Tabasco (or other hot sauce) to the chili.
2. Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce to the chili for extra flavor.
3. Add 2-3 Tablespoons of Ketchup when you add the water to thin out your chili.
4. 7 oz. of Sour cream can be added after cooking.
How To Store Sam’s hot dog chili recipe
This recipe can be frozen in individual portions if you want a weeknight meal. This chili will last around 6-7 months if you freeze it.
You may want to reheat your chili in a microwave if you freeze it.
This recipe is a guideline of what it would take to make Sam’s hot dog chili. It is not a perfect replica, but it sure comes close! This recipe is more of an approximate recipe that yields 13-15 cups of chili.
If you are interested in eating healthier, this is a good recipe. It is loaded with plant-based protein and iron. Eat up and enjoy!
Thank you very much for watching this Sam’s hot dog chili recipe. Hope you like it.