The spent grain dog treats recipe has been a staple in my house for years, and it never fails to impress anyone who tries it.
It’s a great way to keep your pup entertained while cooking. It’s also a fun and easy-to-make addition to any party.
As soon as the treats are cool enough to handle, you can use them as a prize or bring them along in your bag of dog toys.
Spent grain dog treats recipe
It is easy to make dog treats with spent grain, the leftover dough from brewing beer. They have around 4-7% alcohol content and average an ABV of 3.2%.
Making these homemade dog treats as a reward or training aid can be a great idea because they are high in protein, low in fat, and contain no preservatives or artificial colors. For this recipe, you will need a few basic ingredients for the dough.
How to prepare Spent grain dog treats recipe
Preparation Time: about 1 hour
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Yield: About 1 kg of dog treats
Ingredients for Spent Grain Dog Treats Recipe
- Spent grain,
- Turkey bacon,
- Seaweed powder,
- Garlic powder,
- Dried parsley,
- Paprika powder,
- Measuring cups,
- Ziploc bag,
- Plastic wrap,
- Cookie cutter,
- Cookie sheet,
- Baking sheet,
- Sharp knife,
- Parchment paper.
Spent grain dog treats recipe Instructions
Step 1: Bring to room temperature the flour and seaweed powder.
Step 2: Add the yeast and sugar to a small mixing bowl. Mix well.
Step 3: Add the egg to the yeast mixture and mix well.
Step 4: Place the flour and seaweed powder in a large mixing bowl.
Step 5: Add the yeast mixture, oil, and warm water to the flour and seaweed powder.
Step 6: Mix until you form a soft dough. Add parsley, garlic powder, and paprika powder for color.
Step 7: Knead the dough until it is elastic, and you can knead it with one hand. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place until it doubles its size.
Step 8: Divide the dough into 4 parts and roll each into a long log.
Step 9: Cut each log into 3 equal parts. Roll each dough piece flat, then cut into 1 cm slices.
Step 10: Bake in the oven at 200C for about 20 minutes.
Step 11: Let cool for about 5 minutes, then put them in a bag and seal it.
Step 12: Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Step 13: These dog treats will be ready to eat!
Nutrition facts of Spent grain dog treat recipe
- Calories: 74 kcal
- Total Fat: 2.36g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Sodium: 98mg
- Carbohydrate: 8.76g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.8g
- Sugars: 2.5g
- Protein 3.96g.
Benefits of eating Spent grain dog treats recipe
1. Spent grain dog treats recipe can be easily made if you have a small number of grains.
2. Spent grain dogs love to lick the dough because it’s sweet and soft.
3. It is a great protein-rich food for your dog, which is low in fat.
4. Spent grains are non-toxic and have no preservatives or artificial colors.
5. Spent grain dog treats recipe can be your dog’s reward for good behavior or training session.
6. Since these are homemade treats, you know what is going into them!
7. Spent grain dog treat recipe can also be used as a treat or for rewarding your dog’s good behavior (tap/clicker training).
8. Spent grain dog treat recipe is an easy way to prepare your dog’s meal.
9. It is a natural source of iron and other minerals, balancing your dog’s diet.
10. These homemade treats are perfect for training because they have a smell that dogs love!
How To Make More Delicious?
1. Substitute the flour with oat flour and roll the dough into a sausage shape.
2. Make homemade dog treats by adding olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
3. Add a slice or two of turkey bacon while rolling the dough into logs.
4. Add salmon oil on top of the dough before baking.
5. Add a little green to your dog’s diet by adding parsley or basil while rolling the dough.
6. Give it a boost of protein and calcium by adding spiral pasta into the dough.
7. Make them healthier by adding wheat germ to give them some added vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
8. You can also add some other seeds like flax, pumpkin, or sunflower seeds to give them more nutritional benefits.
How To Store Spent grain dog treats recipe
1. Store your homemade dog treats in an airtight container to prevent the dough from drying out or getting moldy.
2. Store it in a cool and dry place (at room temperature).
3. Keep them away from sunlight as this can cause the dough to go bad more quickly than expected; plus, it is not good for your dog’s skin to be exposed to UV light for long periods.
4. You can store them in the freezer; they will last longer.
5. If you want to keep your dog treats for longer, cook them up and freeze them.
6. You may have read about homemade dog treats made for a longer period (1 year) and still maintaining their freshness!
7. Freeze the Spent grain dog treats recipe in an airtight container and defrost them before serving your dog.
Let your dog be in a good mood by giving them homemade dog treats so that he will be more obedient, generous, and loyal to you! Giving homemade dog treats can also help you build trust between you and your dog.
When it comes down to it, it’s up to the owner to provide their pets with the best nutrition they can. Making homemade dog treats is just one way to provide that extra love they need.
Thank you for reading this Spent grain dog treats recipe. I hope that you try it out. Please comment below and let me know if you have any questions.