Steve’s dog food is a brand of dog food distributed by the Nestle S.A. company. It is intended for consumption by primarily small dogs, although it is also suitable for large dogs and cats in limited quantities.
It is available in various flavors and pack sizes (from 5 oz up to 20 lb). The brand was created and released in May 1975 after the previous dog food brand “Johnson and Brown’s” was discontinued.
Nestle had entered the dog food market a year earlier by buying a controlling stake in Waltham-based Johnson and Brown. The new brand was an attempt to build a national reputation for its food.
Steve’s dog food
Steve’s dog food has been marketed and sold in the United Kingdom since 1997 and is made available to pet shops.
The brand is distributed under two names: Steve’s, for smaller packs (less than 25 lb), and Steve’s with Nutri-Grain, for larger packs (25–45 lb).
The former is marketed as a “toy” brand for small dogs. In May 2005, Nestle discontinued the small pack version of Steve’s dog food in the U.K. market.
Who makes Steve’s dog food?
In the United States, Steve’s dog food is manufactured and distributed by Nestle. This company also owns nature’s variety brand of pet food, which is sold in the United States and Canada.
In Australia and New Zealand, Steve’s dog food is made by Nestle S.A., a company headquartered in Switzerland.
The brand has been marketed in Australia since December 2011 by Nature’s Variety Pet Products Pty Ltd (NVPP), under license from Nestle S.A.
The ingredients of Steve’s dog food
The main ingredients of Steve’s dog food are given below:
- Whole grain wheat, corn (maize) flour, fat products, and meat and animal derivatives (including 4% dehydrated chicken),
- Minerals (calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide),
- Vegetable protein extracts,
- Oils and fats,
- Herbal and plant extracts (including 0.3% sage extract). Contains gluten from wheat*.
- Vitamins (Vitamin E from mixed tocopherols 780 IU/kg).
- Inorganic salts,
- L-lysine (0.24% on the dry matter),
- Mixed tocopherols (0.05%),
- Choline chloride, calcium iodate, and iron sulfate,
- Feather meal and bone meal (contain bones without meat and animal derivatives),
- Minerals (magnesium oxide, manganese).
Nutritional values of Steve’s dog food
The nutritional values of of Stevie’s dog food are given below:
- Calorific value (per kg): 3,360 Kcal / 15.6 MJ,
- Protein: 17%,
- Fat: 10%,
- Ash: 5%,
- Crude fibre: 4%.
- Moisture: 64%.
- Total dry matter: 80%
- “Adequate daily intake” (ADI, per kg): 4 Kcal / 0.2 MJ
- Energy value (per kg): 1,360 KJ/ 501 kcal
- Digestible energy value: 5.51 kcal/g
- Arsenic: 0.0992 mg/kg (as As) and copper: 0 mg/kg (as Cu)
The different sizes of Steve’s dog food
Steve’s dog food has two main sizes, 5 oz and 20 lb, and variations of each, such as minis (8 oz), pouches (10 oz), super sized (20 lbs), and premium extra large (20 lbs).
The different varieties and flavors of Steve’s dog food
Steve’s dog food is available in several flavors, some of which are seasonal. The following flavors are listed :
1. Bacon and cheese (launched in March 2002)
2. Beef and vegetable stew (launched in January 2012)
3. Chicken (launched in October 2011)
4. Lamb (launched in 2007)
5. Liver and sweet and sour sauce (launched in 2007)
6. Salmon (launched in 2007)
7. Turkey (launched in 2008)
8. Turkey and Liver (launched in August 2011)
9. Turkey and vegetable soup (launched in March 2003).
What are the benefits of Steve’s dog food?
The main benefits of Steve’s dog food are given below:
1. It is available in a variety of flavors.
2. It is made from natural ingredients.
3. It is both nutritionally and hygienically manufactured in a kennel facility by Nestle S.A., one of the world’s largest pet food manufacturing companies.
4. The food is suitable for dogs with low and high activity levels and for puppies and small dogs.
5. It is suitable for purchase by pet shops.
6. It is suitable for purchase by individuals.
7. It is suitable for sale by veterinary practices, hospitals, dog shelters, and other small animal welfare organizations.
8. It avoids using preservatives and artificial colors but uses natural colorants such as beetroot and paprika to improve the color of the food.
9. It contains vitamins C and E, which help maintain good health in pets.
10. It is advertised as suitable for feeding puppies, adult dogs, and the elderly.
11. It offers a complete and balanced diet for healthy adult dogs.
How to prepare Steve’s dog food
Steve’s dog food is easy and fast to prepare: it can be prepared simply by opening the bag of food and placing it in a bowl for your pet to enjoy.
However, it is also possible in some cases to prepare your dog’s food yourself by mixing the ingredients. The following steps will guide you:
1. Unwrap and open the food bag.
2. Pour the amount of food you want into a bowl and let it sit for 20–30 minutes.
3. Mix the ingredients gradually with a spoon.
4. Stir at least once daily (two to four times a week is better).
5. Your dog’s food is ready to serve.
How to store Steve’s dog food
1. To store open bags of Steve’s dog food, place them in a cool, dry place where they will not be exposed to heat (above 18° Celsius) or direct sunlight.
2. For an extended period, store Steve’s dog food in an airtight container.
3. To store sealed pouches of Steve’s dog food, place them in a cool, dry place where they will not be exposed to heat (above 18° Celsius) or direct sunlight.
Where to buy Steve’s dog food
Steve’s dog food is generally available from pet shops. It can also be purchased from veterinary practices, hospitals, and animal welfare organizations.
The steve’s dog food recall
In May 2005, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and its Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced a recall of 500,000 pounds (226 tons) of Steve’s dog food sold in the United States because it contained uncommon wheat gluten that was not mentioned on the ingredients label.
The recall was announced for several brands at once. On March 16, 2005, the FDA and FSIS initiated an inspection at Steve’s Pet Food Co.
What are the disadvantages of Steve’s dog food?
The main disadvantages of Steve’s dog food are given below:
1. It is expensive compared to other brands of dog food.
2. Its packaging and labels may cause allergic reactions in dogs, especially dogs with a tendency to lick at their fur.
3. It has been criticized as high in fat content, causing obesity and diabetes, which may lead to joint problems and other health issues later in life.
4. It is not an exclusive diet for dogs, as it does not provide all the necessary nutrients.
5. It is only available in a few countries worldwide.
6. It is not available in places with too harsh a climate, as it can only be stored in cool, dry, and well-ventilated places.
7. It does not contain all of a dog’s nutritional requirements, which other sources of food or supplements must supplement.
8. Its ingredients are not always fully digested by dogs and may make them feel unwell.
9. It is not recommended for pregnant or lactating dogs or sick dogs because it does not contain any medicines or remedies.
Is it safe?
Steve’s dog food is generally safe because it is made from natural ingredients. However, it must be noted that there may be certain risks attached to the use of any food, and Steve’s dog food is no exception. Some of these risks are listed below:
1. It has been reported to cause indigestion, diarrhea, and vomiting in some dogs.
2. It has been reported to contain traces of wheat gluten.
3. It has been reported to cause high cholesterol in some dogs.
4. It has been reported that it is unsuitable for dogs over 4 years and above, as the food contains too much fat and protein.
5. It is not recommended for pregnant or lactating dogs or sick dogs because the food does not contain any medicine or remedy of any kind.
6. It is not completely digested by dogs and may make them feel sick.
7. It has been reported that Steve’s dog food contains traces of nuts and wheat gluten, which potentially cause allergies in dogs as they are not listed on the product labels.
8. It is not suitable as an exclusive diet for dogs, as it does not provide all the necessary nutrients a dog needs to stay healthy.
Final thoughts on Steve’s dog food
Steve’s dog food is well-known among pet lovers and has earned a reputation for offering good value for money and being reliable.
It is available in many countries worldwide, but mainly in the United States of America. It offers a complete, balanced diet that helps to keep your dog’s weight normal, but it is not suitable for all dogs.
The main advantages of this brand are that it is easy to store and handle, does not contain preservatives or artificial colors, and is advertised as being suitable as an exclusive diet for adult dogs.
Steve’s dog food is a complete, balanced, high-quality natural food. It is also relatively easy to store and handle as it contains no preservatives or artificial colors.
You can use it as an exclusive diet for your adult dogs, but you must supplement it with other animal food sources or supplements to avoid health problems in your dog.
This brand is available in many countries worldwide, but mainly in the United States of America. It does not come cheap, but its high quality is worth the price you pay for it.
Thank you for reading our article on Steve’s dog food, the product of a British company dedicated to feeding dogs with a good quality natural diet, which is easy to store and handle.
If you have more questions, want to know where to buy Steve’s dog food, or need suggestions on how to store it, feel free to contact us